VH1 Announce Hip-Hop Honorees For 2008
Honorees for this year’s annual Hip Hop Honors show will be Cypress Hill, De La Soul, Slick Rick, Naughty By Nature and Too $hort.
The event will take place at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York taping Thursday, October 2, 2008 and premièring on VH1 on Tuesday, October 7 at 9/8c on VH1. Read the entire press release here -
NEW YORK, August 13, 2008 – VH1 has announced the five honorees for their fifth annual “VH1 Hip Hop Honors,” Cypress Hill, De La Soul, Slick Rick, Naughty By Nature and Too $hort. Hosted once again by Tracy Morgan, this year’s musical celebration will give viewers a chance to step back and reminisce on a time when hip hop music began to make its greatest impact on American pop culture.
Premièring on Tuesday, October 7 at 10PM*, generations of hip hop will bridge the gap for one exceptional night to set it off with the original style and flavor that sparked a revolution and continues to fuel an evolution around the world. Additional performances and appearances will be announced shortly.
“Now in its fifth year, the ‘VH1 Hip Hop Honors’ has come to represent the pinnacle of innovation and achievement in hip hop music,” said Tom Calderone, Executive Vice President and General Manager, VH1. “This year’s five honorees are no different and are being recognized for their significant contributions to hip hop culture and for helping to elevate hip hop into a truly global phenomenon.”
Introducing this year’s honorees:
- Cypress Hill: With a driving rhyme style and brutally infectious production, this L.A. based collective brought a welcomed Latino perspective to hip hop storytelling, creating records like “Insane in the Brain” that crossed all barriers and gave Cypress Hill fans in the rock, as well as, rap world.
- De La Soul: This Long Island trio brought a playful, smart, and off-center style to hip hop, while pushing their suburban and bohemian sensibility to the fore. Their innovative sound has influenced not only other MCs, but helped inspire the entire underground movement in the culture.
- Naughty By Nature: Led by the strident style of lead MC Treach, Naughty By Nature brought New Jersey hip hop into the mainstream by creating hit singles than became anthems for a generation. “OPP” and “Hip Hop Hooray” are two of the most popular records in rap history.
- Slick Rick: With vivid storytelling and unique rhyme style Slick Rick has always been one of the most unique and influential figures in the culture’s history. When you combine Rick’s MC gifts with his gold chains, eye patch and regal clothing the result is a figure who embodies the fun, the danger and the flavor that is hip hop.
- Too $hort: Too $hort started his career in the ’80s selling 12-inch singles full of freaky tales on his own indie label in Oakland and has remained true to his raw style, in the process becoming a legend in the game while staying true to his hard core values.
Additionally, on September 16 VH1.com will launch its dedicated “VH1 Hip Hop Honors” Web site with honoree profiles, exclusive online programming, show information and more at HipHop.VH1.com. Additional VH1.com and VH1 Mobile efforts around “VH1 Hip Hop Honors” will be announced in the coming weeks.
“VH1 Hip Hop Honors” is executive produced by Lee Rolontz for VH1 and Jac Benson for Blackjac Entertainment. Louis J. Horvitz will direct. Nelson George and Fab Five Freddie are co-executive producers.
Peep the official website - [VH1.com]